Ear infection is a bacterial or viral infection that affects the middle ear. This infection can be really painful, because of fluid build-up and inflammation in the middle ear.
About Ear Infection
Ear infections can be acute or chronic. Acute ear infections often clear up on their own, healing can begin with managing the discomfort and monitoring the issue. The chronic ear infections don’t go away, or they return many times, and they can cause permanent damage to the inner ear.
Infants are more likely than adults to get an ear infection. Long-term problems associated with this infection (frequent or persistent infections, fluid in the middle ear) can cause many serious complications, as hearing problems.
Ear infections cause blockage of the Eustachian tubes of the ear. These are the most common causes:
- Infected or swollen adenoids
- Excess mucus
- Sinus infection
- Tobacco smoking
Ear infections mostly occur in children or people who have narrow and short Eustachian tubes. Other factors that increase the risks of developing this infection are:
- Climate changes
- Altitude changes
- Pacifier use
- Exposure to tobacco smoke
- Recent infection or illness
Your Health Tuber Story: My Chronic Ear Infection
On our weekly Your Health Tube meetings we discuss which topics to explore and write about. When someone mentioned Ear Infection they all looked at me immediately. So, this was totally my topic!
I am suffering from a chronic ear infection for more than 10 years. I have a short Eustachian tube and the reason for my infection are infected and swollen adenoids. The unsupportable ear pain was causing me great trouble falling asleep for so many nights. I’ve tried everything! From expensive medicine treatments and private ear hospitals to homeopathy, and I found my cure in the simplest (but certainly powerful) natural remedies.
Doctors used to prescribe me antibiotics over and over again, but they didn’t help me at all, and still I was taking them as much as they’ve told me to. That began to cause me some allergic reactions. I was so pissed off and decided not to contact my doctor again about my earaches and try alternative medicine.
The treatments that help me reduce the pain along with the other ear infection symptoms are generally traditional natural remedies.
Below you can read more about the most effective natural remedies that helped me treat my infection and feel great.
As you can see below, there are 6 natural remedies. I’ve tried every single one of them in different situations (I usually use the one that I have near me at that particular moment of ear pain).
Proven Natural Remedies for Ear Infection
Here the most effective natural remedies for ear infections:
- Himalayan Crystal Salt
Honestly, this is the best way for me to treat this infection. It will enhance your immune system with 84 trace minerals that are found in the Himalayan salt. It is an easy remedy to do.
- Put 1 cup of sea salt in a cotton soak.
- Tie it close.
- Then, warm a skillet over a medium heat and put the soak into the pan.
- Head for 5 minutes and shake it around in the meanwhile.
- When the sock warmed lightly, place it on your affected ear.
- This works for both children and adults.
Note: Do not use table salt, only a sea salt. Himalayan pink salt will be ideal.
It has antimicrobial properties that make it highly effective in the treatments of ear infections. Garlic is an incredible natural pain reliever.
- Cook 2 garlic cloves in 2 tablespoons of mustard or sesame oil. When it turns blackish you should strain the mixture. Let it cool a little (not too cool you need it lukewarm) and then put 2-3 drops in your ear.
- Eating 2-3 cloves of raw garlic per day can also help you to speed up the curing process.
- Olive Oil
Olive oil has impressive antifungal and antibacterial properties. It will help you clean your ear and remove the wax that blocks the Eustachian tubes.
- Warm 1 teaspoon of olive oil evenly. Put 2 drops of the warm oil into your ear.
- The oil will soften the wax. Remove it with cotton swabs. Be really careful with the swab not to put it too far in your ear, because it can damage your eardrum.
- Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera gel has incredible healing properties that work to reduce swelling tissue. When the ear pain is so irritating that you cannot stand it anymore, then is definitely time for Aloe Vera.
- If you grow aloe Vera plant in your home like I do, then you should cut a little aloe Vera leaf and squeeze some juice from it in 1 teaspoon.
- Put it in your ear and wait for 5 minutes.
- Then lay down on the opposite side in order to drain out the liquid of your ear. You will feel great relief after a while.
- You can also buy organic Aloe Vera ear drops and put 3-5 drops in your ear. The rest of the procedure is the same. Do that 2-3 times a day for 2 days.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
It will help you to eliminate the fungus that can be a reason for your ear infection.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar and ½ teaspoon of water and ½ teaspoon of alcohol.
- Soak a cotton ball in the mixture.
- Then, put it in the infected ear like a plug. Leave it for 5 minutes.
- Remove it and lay aside in order to remove the liquid from your ear.
- Tea Tree Oil
This oil has amazing antibacterial properties that can give you an instant relief from the ear pain. I always have some tea tree oil in my bag and I usually use it when I travel in case of an earache.
- Just put 2 drops of tea tree oil every time you feel ear pain.
- You can also make a mixture from 3 drops of tea tree oil, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 1 teaspoon of colloidal silver or apple cider vinegar.
- Warm the solution lightly.
- Use a dropper or little teaspoon to put 2 drops of the mixture in your ear.
- Leave it for 5 minutes.
- Lay down on the opposite side with the head on a towel so the mixture can drain out of the ear.
- Do this 2 times a day for no longer than 2 days.
The latest AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) guidelines suggest that doctors should focus more on the ear pain management, not just antibiotics for ear infection. This is because this infection usually go away on its own, and the overuse of antibiotics can lead to antibiotic-resistant infection.
However, ear infection must be taken seriously, because it can cause rupture of the eardrum or trouble with hearing. You need to visit your doctor if your ear infection lasts more than a week and in case any of these natural remedies is not helping you.
If you liked this article, please like our Facebook page:
You can also follow us on Google+: