Dizziness is a common feeling of being lightheaded, unbalanced, or woozy. It is not usually a sign of anything serious, but sometimes should be investigated by a doctor.
Because the symptoms are quite vague and could be caused by various things, it might not always be easy to identify the actual cause of dizziness.
Causes of Dizziness
The most common causes of dizziness include:
- An inner ear infection (labyrinthitis)
- Low blood sugar level (hypoglycaemia)
- Heat exhaustion
- A sudden fall in blood pressure (postural hypotension)
- Decreased blood flow in the back of your brain (veterbrobasilar insufficiency)
Less common causes are:
- Consuming excessive amount of alcohol
- Having a severe illness which affects the entire body
- Some types of prescription drugs (such as blood pressure medications or antidepressants)
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Having a heart rhythm problem, irregular heartbeat
Home Remedies for Dizziness
Dehydration is one of the most common causes of dizziness. This can be due to not consuming water for a long time, or rehydration during and after exercise. Dehydration can also result from diarrhea or vomiting that causes excessive loss of fluid loss. Drinking enough water and other healthy beverages is essential to get rid of frequent dizziness.
- Deep Breathing
Breathing properly will relieve you from dizziness. All you should do is:
- count from 1-5 as you inhale, and
- count back from 5-1 as you exhale
In this process, you should fill up your stomach with air by imagining that there is an area below the naval region that you need to fill up. The process is called deep breathing. It will help provide an adequate amounts of oxygen to the brain that in turn will relax your nervous system and eliminate this condition.
Massage has calming and relaxing properties and can efficaciously treat this ailment as well. It boosts blood circulation and relax the nervous system that can eliminate the problem of dizziness. Always wear a lavender or other essential oil with you. In case of dizziness just put some on your hands and massage your head shortly in order to feel better.
- Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea has great soothing properties. Just prepare yourself a cup of chamomile tea and add a teaspoon of honey. It will help you prevent any further dizziness and mental tension.
It is another excellent remedy against lightheadedness. Many studies have proven that ginger can treat many health issues much more than over-the-counter medications.
- Chew raw ginger, or
- Consume ginger tea regularly.
It works well by improving the blood circulation through the body and cures dizziness.
- Cumin Seeds
Cumin seeds contain a great number of phyto-chemicals, which are known to have carminative, anti-flatulent and antioxidant properties. All you need to do is:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds together with ¼ nutmeg powder, and
- Consume this 3 times per day, for a week in order to treat dizziness.
You should consume this periodically if you suffer from this condition.
- Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberries are abundant source of vitamin C and A. Together with coriander seeds are perfect choice for eliminating this condition.
- Grind 2 de-seeded fruits of Indian Gooseberry, and together with
- 2 teaspoons of coriander seeds put them in a cup of water.
- Leave the mixture overnight.
- Then, strain in the morning.
- Consume the mixture.
It will help you get rid of dizziness and fatigue, and prevent further problems.
Just a simple exercise can be helpful in case of dizziness. Move you neck in both ways: clockwise then anti-clockwise. It will give you instant relief.
In case of imbalance and dizziness, you should simply lie down and try to concentrate on some immobile objects that are around you. That will distract your mind from lightheadedness and nausea symptoms. Plus, it will also aid to restore the body’s equilibrium back to its normal levels.
- Lemon and Sugar
Lemon is a popular traditional remedy for treating this condition. It is great at improving glucose levels inside your body, very effectively and rapidly.
- Simple squeeze ½ a lemon into a glass of water and add 2 teaspoons sugar in it. Consume it.
Almonds are an ideal choice if you want a long lasting remedy against dizziness. Here is the cure:
- You will need around 11-12 almonds, 3 tablespoons of water, and 6-7 pumpkin seeds.
- Mix these ingredients together.
- Leave them overnight to soak.
- Next day, prepare a smooth past and add 2-3 cloves in it.
- Then, boil this mixture with a cup of milk.
- In order to improve the taste, add 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Celery Juice
If low blood pressure is the reason of your lightheadedness, simply consume a glass of fresh celery juice. You will feel better immediately.
- Greek yogurt
Many researches have proven the greatness of probiotics for treating this condition. Whenever you feel lightheadedness or other symptoms of lightheadedness, just have a bowl of Greek yogurt and you will solve the problem instantly.
- Ginkgo Biloba
Ginko biloba heals some of the issues of the inner ear by increasing blood circulation in this area. You can find this herb in a form of dried leaf, tablet and as liquid extract.
- Iron Supplement
You should take foods that are rich in iron, or take iron capsules. Therefore, try to increase the intake of lentils, spinach, cooked soybean, blackstrap molasses and dried beans. They can help in overcoming the issues of anemia and decreasing the risk of dizziness.
These preventive measures can help you avoid this condition:
- Eat healthy – improve your eating habits by consuming a balanced diet that is low in cholesterol. Also, you should not skip meals and make a habit to take them on time.
- Drink plenty of liquids – like water, lemon warm water, and homemade juices.
- Avoid iron-blocking drinks – like wine, beer, and coffee.
- Try to sleep well during the night.
- Try yoga or meditation – it will help you relax and get rid of frequent dizziness.
- Do not read when you travel – can cause motion sickness and lightheadedness.
When to See Your Doctor
Contact your local emergency number (as 911) or go to an emergency center if you are dizzy, lightheaded and have:
- A head injury
- High temperature (over 101°F/38.3°C)
- Very stiff neck and headache
- Chest pain
- Trouble keeping liquids down
- Inability to move a leg or arm
- Change in speech or vision
- Loss or alertness for more than 5 minutes
Also, consult your doctor if you have:
- Dizziness for a very first time
- Dizziness after takin pills
- Hearing loss
- Some new or worsening lightheadedness symptoms
Most causes of dizziness, imbalance or lightheadedness are not serious, and they either rapidly get better on their own or are really easy to treat. Home remedies can help you treat and eliminate dizziness. If you know the cause of your lightheadedness you can easily chose the home remedy that is best for you. If you have tendency to get dizziness when you stand up, you should avoid some sudden changes in your posture. Eat healthy food, food rich in iron, and drink plenty of water to eliminate dizziness.
If you liked this article, please like our Facebook page:
You can also follow us on Google+: