Lavender essential oil is created via steam distillation. Lavender flowers are usually picked when they are in full bloom because at that point they contain the maximum esters amount. It takes about 150 pounds of lavender in order to produce only 1 pound of pure essential oil.
However, you can also make a cold mixture by soaking some lavender flowers in extra virgin olive oil. Here is the recipe:
- Dried lavender flowers
- Extra virgin olive oil (or mineral oil)
- Sterilized bottle (to store the lavender oil)
- Muslin or cheesecloth (to strain with)
- Large jar (to infuse the oil with lavender)
What to do?
- Take a clean and dry jar, and put the dried lavender flowers in it (place enough flowers to fill the jar).
- Then, pour the extra virgin olive oil (or the mineral oil) over the lavender flowers till they are fully covered.
- Put the jar in an area where it can get a great amount of sun. The sunlight will aid extract the oil from the lavender flowers and therefore, infuse it with the main oil. Leave it there for 3-6 weeks.
- After 3-6 weeks, pour the mixture through the muslin (or cheesecloth) into the sterilized bottle. You are done and ready to use your fresh lavender essential oil!
Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
Today, lavender essential oil benefits your body in numerous ways. Here are some of the greatest benefits:
- Improves sleep
- Heals wounds and burns
- Reduces emotional stress
- Reduces anxiety and depression
- Improves psoriasis and eczema
- Restore skin complexion
- Recuses acne
- Alleviates a headache and migraine
- Slows aging
Lavender essential oil benefits are truly incredible. This oil has numerous therapeutic and medicinal uses.
Lavender essential oil is known for its great antidepressant, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antiseptic properties. It also has analgesic, antispasmodic, hypotensive, sedative, and detoxifying effects. This oil is also one of the best known essential oils in aromatherapy. It has an amazing smell and it is often used in the perfume industry for creating fragrances.
Did you know that you can make your own natural fragrance and smell “expensive”? Here you can find the recipe: LINK