Asthma is a chronic lung condition, which inflames and narrows the airways. Asthma causes chest tightness, recurring periods of wheezing, coughing, and breathlessness. The coughing usually occurs early in the morning or at night.
It affects people of all ages, but in the most cases, it starts during childhood. In the USA, about 25 million people suffer from this condition, and more than 7 million of them are children.
Symptoms of Asthma
The most common symptoms are:
- Difficulty breathing
- Coughing, mostly when laughing and during exercise
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness
- Wheezing (a squeaky or whistling sound in the chest when breathing, mostly when exhaling)
Symptoms can occur at any time. Mild occurrences can last just a few minutes and can be resolved naturally or with certain medication. However, more severe occurrences can last from 1 hour to a couple of days.
What causes asthma?
It is caused by inflammation of the small tubes (known as bronchi) that transmit air in and out of our lungs. In the case of asthma, the bronchi are inflamed and more sensitive than usual.
This condition can also be triggered by substances (chemicals or allergens) inhaled on a working place.
The reasons why people develop this condition isn’t completely understood, though it is known that a person is more likely to develop it if already have a family history of this condition.
Top Natural Asthma Remedies
Your Health Tube made a net research, based on people opinions, health organizations and health blogs, about the best natural remedies for asthma treatment. Therefore, we made a list from the information we found, and here you can find more about the best ingredients and their incredible benefits that will help you fight with this problem:
We put honey in the first place because it is one of the oldest known natural cures for this health condition. Plus, our net statistics showed that honey is one of the most used and most effective home remedies for asthma all around the world. The ethereal oils and alcohol in honey reduce the symptoms. Here is what you should do:
- Inhale the smell of honey and you will get the positive effects instantly.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of honey into a cup of warm water and consume it 3 times per day.
- Take 1 teaspoon of honey together with ½ teaspoon of cinnamon before you go to bed. It will remove phlegm from the throat and give you a nice sleep.
Most of the health institutes and various health organizations suggest ginger for asthma as one of the greatest remedies. It is a magnificent herb used to treat numerous health ailments.
In general, it is used in the Ayurveda medicine and mostly in the Asian cuisine. But this herb is not just a powerful spice that adds flavor to many foods and drinks, it also works amazingly in treating respiratory problems as asthma, cough cold, and flu. You can use it in any form and experience great relief from asthma. Here is what you should do:
- Cut 1 small piece of ginger and crush it in order to get some juice. Then, mix it with a little bit of salt and consume it regularly.
- Also, you can add ginger to your soups, bread, salads, gravies, or eat it raw.
- Make yourself a ginger tea by putting some ginger pieces into boiled water and leave it for 5 to 10 minutes. You can add some honey as well and consume it 1 to 2 times per day. It will soothe your throat and relieve asthma.
Lemons are really popular in our everyday lives. We use them as natural remedies for treating many ailments.
A person with asthma often has low levels of vitamin C, thus, lemons are just perfect for this treatment due to their rich content of vitamin C and antioxidants that will help you reduce the symptoms. Here is what you should do:
- Squeeze one lemon into a glass of water and put some honey in it.
Consume it regularly in order to get better results.
- Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is also one of the most effective treatments for this lung condition. It has powerful decongestant properties. Many studies point out that it has a chemical called eucalyptol, who can break up mucus. Here is what you should do:
- Put 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil on a paper towel. Keep this near your head while you are sleeping in so you can breathe in its aroma.
- Also, you can put some drops of this oil in a pot of boiling water, then breathe in the vapors.
- Black Seed Oil
It can provide a great relief from asthma symptoms. It relaxes the bronchial muscles and thus, it takes place as one of the most powerful natural treatments for this lung condition. Here what you should do:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of black seed oil in 1 cup of boiling water and inhale the steam. Do this 2 times per day.
Asthma symptoms are usually controllable and reversible with effective natural treatments. Children diagnosed with this disease may be treated with natural remedies or medications, which will help to disappear or improve during teenage years though it could return later in life.
However, the best choice is to lower the stress that can trigger a flare. Also, you should try to learn not to panic and control your emotions. Relaxation techniques and natural treatments can ease breathing problems.