- 450 g/1 lb ready-made sweet shortcrust pastry/pie dough plain/all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 small/medium egg yolk, for glazing
For the filling:
- 2 medium/large egg yolks
- 50 g/2 oz. /4 tbsps. butter, softened
- 50 g/2 oz. / ¼ cup caster/superfine sugar
- finely grated zest of ½ lemon
- 450 g/1 lb. /2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp. chopped candied lemon peel
- 25 g/1 oz. /1 tbsp. chopped candied orange peel
- 1 tbsp. chopped glace/candied cherries
- 50 g/2 oz. dark/semisweet dark chocolate, chopped
Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5, 10 minutes before baking. To make the filling, beat the egg yolks with the butter and sugar until creamy, then beat in the lemon zest.
Beat the ricotta until smooth, then fold into the egg mixture together with the chopped candied peel, cherries and chocolate.
Roll three quarters of the pastry/pie dough out on a lightly floured surface and use to line the base and sides of a 20.Scm/8 inch cake tin/pan or springform tin. Pour in the filling.
Roll out the remaining pastry and cut into 23 cm/9 inch strips and use to form a lattice effect across the pie. Brush the strips with the beaten egg yolk and bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until the filling is set.
Leave to cool before removing from the tin and serving.