- 100 g/3 ½ oz. dark/semi sweet dark chocolate. in pieces
- 200 g/7 oz./1 cup fresh chilled custard
- 150 ml/ ¼ pint/ 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 50 g/2 oz./ 1/3 cup finely chopped mixed/candied peel
- 2 tbsps. sultanas/golden raisins
- 1 tbsp. chopped glace/candied cherries
- 3 tbsps. rum
- 225 g/8 oz./2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 200 ml/7 fl oz./ ¾ cup double/heavy cream
- 3 tbsps. caster/superfine sugar
Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until smooth. then allow to cool. Whisk together the custard with the whipping cream and slightly cooled chocolate. Spoon the mixture into a shallow. lidded freezer box and freeze.
Every 2 hours. remove from the freezer and whisk thoroughly using an electric or balloon whisk. Repeat three times. then leave until frozen solid.
Soak the mixed/candied peel. sultanas/golden raisins and glace/candied cherries in the rum and leave until needed.
Chill a bombe or 1 litre/1 ¾ pint/1 quart dessert mould in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Remove the chocolate ice cream from the freezer to soften. then spoon the ice cream into the mould and press down well. smoothing around the edges and leaving a hollow in the centre. Return the ice cream to the freezer for about 1 hour until frozen hard.
Remove the vanilla ice cream from the freezer to soften. Spoon it into the hollow, making sure to leave another hollow for the cream. Return to the freezer again and freeze until hard.
Whip the cream and sugar until it is just holding its shape. then fold in the soaked fruit. Remove the mould from the freezer and spoon in the cream mixture. Return to the freezer for at least another hour.
When ready to serve. remove the mould from the freezer and dip into hot water for a few seconds. then turn onto a large serving plate. Dip a knife into hot water and cut into wedges to serve.